St. Charles County, Missouri and Area News

Friday, November 30, 2012

Holocaust survivor shares story with students



On Thursday, November 29th, Holocaust survivor Ben Fainer shared his moving story with eighth grade students from Wentzville Middle School. In communication arts class these students are reading "Night" by Nobel Peace Prize winner Elie Wiesel, based upon his story of survival while in the concentration camps. WMS teachers Marcus Hirsch and Scott Kiehl arranged for Mr Fainer to visit with the students and share his own story.

"My message is my experience," said Mr. Fainer with a shrug. "I had the greatest mother in the world, and she was taken away from me when I was 9 1/2 years old by the Nazis, and she perished in Auschwitz. So I remind these children that they should listen to their mother."

Born Bendet Fajner in Poland in 1930, Mr. Fainer was separated from his mother and his siblings and sent to the Buchenwald concentration camp by the Nazis in 1939. He still bears the tattoo ID number 178873 on his left forearm. "To survive the camps you had to be able to walk and to work in the factory. If you couldn't do either, you would soon be dead."


After more than six years spent in several different camps, he was finally liberated by the U.S.Army's 26th Infantry Division in April of 1945. After the war, he lived in Ireland and Canada before settling in St. Louis. "The children in America, what they have is greater than any other children anywhere in the world. They have the world on a string."

"I have done a lot of research on the Holocaust, but this was the first time I had heard a survivor speak," said eighth grader Amy Smith. "It was really eye opening, and I thought he was very strong to talk about it after all he has been through, I was impressed. It's something my kids won't be able to experience, so I was very lucky today."


As students lined up to hug Mr. Fainer and have their picture taken with him after the assembly, student Hunter Mize said he had been moved by his presentation. "It's a once in a lifetime opportunity to listen to someone who survived, and is brave enough to tell us about his experiences. I think everyone should know what happened in WWII, how these people suffered, because what Hitler did was so evil and filled with such hatred. People need to know what the Jewish people went through in the Holocaust, so nothing like this could ever happen again."

From the Wentzville School District

No comments:

Post a Comment